Musings of a Winter Wren

Friday, October 21, 2005

WORDPLAY

Sometimes. Sometimes I wake up in the morning without a song in my head. Instead that little bed of grey matter in my head hosts a single word. Yesterday the word was ‘cogent’ and today it’s ‘indelible.’ When I have a word in my head I don’t really use it in complete sentences so much as kick it around the rooms of my brain, the same way you might kick a piece of garbage around the street. It sounds like this:

Indelible

Indelible
Indelible ink
Indelible stain
Indelible sadness
Hmm, good one
Indelible sadness
Oh, indelible hair!

Indelible hair?
Indelible
Indelible

I know it may sound pretty harmless to you, but its pure unadulterated hell for me. It makes my hands grope for the standby button on my brain. Once, I had the word ‘akimbo’ stuck in my head for over a week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home