Musings of a Winter Wren

Saturday, August 12, 2006

COFFEE BREAK

I recently viewed a documentary called How to Draw a Bunny, about the life and work of artist Ray Johnson. In the film he was eulogized by both friends and peers as extremely cool, creative, and cooky. For example, he participated in a reading once, but in lieu of reciting a poem he beat a cardboard box with a leather belt for about twenty minutes. Afterwards, he wrote the name 'Kafka' on one side of the box in indelible ink.

Far. Out.

Well, so. Someone was relating a story about Ray Johnson. This person (name escapes me) said he and Ray were walking behind someone who was holding a bag of groceries when a jar of instant coffee escaped this person's groceries and fell, cracked open on the ground. Ray apparently looked at the mess and said simply, "Coffee break."

This made me think of RS. He was always clever like that; playing with words and meanings. I've been thinking about him lately and wondering if I would have left my husband if I had not met him. What an unhappy fate that would have been! RS unhinged my cage door with his little boy hands and I flew out. No matter what transpires between us, this bird will always be greatful to him for setting her free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home