Musings of a Winter Wren

Monday, June 30, 2008

BIKE IS THE NEW BLACK

Cycling is the new black this summer. Haven't you heard? Folks in my department are driving their bikes to school and going for afternoon rides. Don't get me wrong, it's totally awesome. But sometimes it feels like bike and bike shit is all people talk about these days. "So-and-so bought a new bike and I bought a new helmet and he got one of those wireless odometers and we went here and then we went there and I burned a thousand calories and then blah blah blah and what do you think about my ass in these spandex shorts?"

I have been quietly biking for the past 5 years. The bicycle has been around for almost 200 years. What's all this noise about? Obviously I enjoy it, but it's also a practical mode of transportation for me. I rode 115 miles this week. Some of those miles were fun and some of them sucked dick. It's a very cool machine, people, but it's not a religion.

This is all I'm sayin'.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elise said...

115 miles on a bike?! O.O That's impressive! ^^ I can't say that I've heard a lot of this bike talk, but with gas prices these days, it is more practical.

6/30/2008

 
Blogger Winter Wren said...

Hi hi. Yes, it is very practical to bike given gas prices. That is why I do it. I'm too cheap to pay $4/gallon for petrol. I would much rather spend $4 on a sandwich. But these cats at work are not biking TO work. They're driving to work with their bikes in the trunks of their cars and then biking while at work. Which is super awesome and healthy and FUCK YEAH! GO TEAM! I just wish they'd stop talking about it (incessantly!) around my desk like it's the latest panacea.

7/01/2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home