Musings of a Winter Wren

Thursday, October 16, 2008

ON YOUR CASE

My math students took a test on Tuesday. As I am such a magnanimous instructor, I gave them precious class time on Wednesday to review their mistakes and make corrections. "Exams are given," I explained, "So that YOU know which concepts you understand and which concepts you need to work on. Besides you will see these problems again on the cumulative final." One guy, C, copied his classmate's correct answers and turned it in. I stared at his half-assed scrawl.

W: Hey, C? Do you know how to do...problem ten?
C: Um. No.
W: Why not?
C: (Read with attitude) Cause! Gaaahh! I didn't have a calculator!
W: (Admittedly exasperated) Then why are you turning this in??
C: I didn't understand it!! Why are you on my case?!! Geez!!
W: I'm sorry, are we in kindergarten?? No, you guys are supposed to be adults. You all should have your 'Big Pants' on by now, right? If you have a question about something, you ask.

(And then I kind of went off.)

W: I love the way you guys swagger, like you're so tough, you're so cool. But when an instructor calls you out about something you did or didn’t do, you take it so personally. You all have such fragile egos. I'm 'On Your Case' because I give a shit about my job, and it bothers me when you guys don't!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home