Musings of a Winter Wren

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

KUGELIS: BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS

Last weekend The Steady and I went to my parent’s house to visit and do a little snow shoeing. Often, my dad will use these gatherings as an excuse to make some Eastern European dishes. It is kind of a political move, actually. Mom's dinner lobby is weaker when her children are in town and dad knows it. This time he made Kugelis, which you probably already know, is the official Lithuanian national dish. He used to make it when we were kids and we love it. It's a potato/bacon/onion loaf that is eaten with copious amounts of sour cream. I mean who are we kdding? Most Eastern European dishes are simply vectors for sour cream.

My brother actually bought a t-shirt from an eastern European deli in Chicago that exclaims, Kugelis: Breakfast of Champions!

Good lord, what a nerd.

My dad also makes homemade sauerkraut from the cabbages he grows in his garden. It's really good stuff and we were fortunate enough to take a 32 0z container home with us. Last night we ate it with Polish sausage, rye bread, and zingy mustard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home