Musings of a Winter Wren

Sunday, March 15, 2009

NOT MY PEOPLE

I grew up in a sleepy town of 75,000. Sure, I used to shit on it and say disparaging things about it. But looking back now, it wasn't a horrible place to grow up, in that it was relatively clean and safe, although not very stimulating.

Me, I was your average American teen. I did pretty well in school. I got drunk for the first time and lost my virginity (separate occasions) in my sixteenth year. Both were rather positive experiences. I had concentric circles of friends. But the funny thing is, the ones I spent the most time with were the ones I least identified with. They were nice people, but they were not my people. I honestly didn't know one could have friends and also like them until I moved away from home. And then there were people I didn't know very well, but wish I had known better...

And now they're all on Facebook! Suddenly the friends I absolutely adore now are mushed with people I was content to lose track of. It makes me feel all squirmy inside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home