Musings of a Winter Wren

Sunday, August 13, 2006

SANCTUARY FOR RARE BIRDS

I've had this friend, Pollen, for about ten years. We've seen each other through many changes. He is the kind of person who can be held up in the wilderness, incommunicado for months, but when we come together it's like we haven't missed a day. I love friends like that. So yup. Pollen is a member of a unique order that gathers in the north woods several times a year, and this year I was invited to join.

When I arrived one of the first things I saw was a tallish man packing a tent/sleeping bag into his car. He was wearing a wide brimmed cowboy hat, some sturdy hiking boots and a goatee. And that was it. No darling, I wasn't at a nudist camp. It was so much better than that. I was at a faerie gathering. For lack of better description it's summer camp for gay men. It is a place where men who love men and love the outdoors can enjoy both. I know, I know, I am neither male or gay, but they are very inclusive and I am greatful for that. There are many more things I wish to say about this group and my experiences there, but I am not going to recount those things. Instead, I'm going to say simply this:

Thank god there are places on this planet earth, where people are free to express themselves without judgement. Thank god there are places where a man can wear a taffeta gown for dinner if he damn well pleases! Eat your heart out Tom Monaghan! And for desert, you can eat sweet, faerie ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home