Musings of a Winter Wren

Monday, August 20, 2007

SORRY PRINCESS


Okay one more story about Ecuador and then I'm done. I'm afraid I am starting to sound like one of those enamored teenager and her new like, boyfriend. "Oh Ecuador! He's so gorgeous! He's so...biodiverse!" Gross.

So we spent four days and three nights in a biological research station near Tena. The food was amazing and after every evening meal, we were visited by various insects. I mean huge crawly stick insects and gigantic green grasshoppers with wicked barbs on their feet. The shit was positively Paleozoic! And we (being science nerds) were like the paparazzi, all at once jockeying to get the money shot with our digital cameras.

The insect in the picture above, a beautiful green leaf-insect got a little nervous what with the flashing lights and quick movement. It jumped from its perch onto John who defended himself with quick flapping hand motions around his face. He succeeded in deflecting the insect. It flew at me and I accidentally stepped on it! Immediately the three of us froze, mouths agape, staring at the brilliant green smudge on the floor like it was Princess Di. It happened so fast. It was very sad. And I felt terrible.

And then Lupo, the cabana owner’s Great Dane, sauntered in and casually ate it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home