Musings of a Winter Wren

Saturday, March 19, 2005

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

Happy two year war! Now why don’t you get off your duff and go buy your mom a barrel of oil already.

But truly. Today reminds me of the one year anniversary. I was not long back in the country when I attended the antiwar rally with my Da and Pit Pat. It was a good turn out for my folk's hometown and the news coverage was decent. Before we marched to the government building in the center of downtown, we were accosted by a rather zealous war supporter who raved and spat and called us names. I think he was trying to say something about our being small minded when he asked if any of us had ever been out of the country. I chimed like a bell, "Oh Yes! Me! Yes I have!" He narrowed his eyes at me and wiped the drool from his chin as it was starting to soak his patriotic American flag Old Navy t-shirt. "I just returned from China a few weeks ago. I was working there because I was laid off from the state university just as this war was getting started. I lost my job and my benefits because the university was getting its state funding cut while the Bush administration was spending billions in Iraq. And you know what I noticed while I was in China? You can't voice dissent there because it's a dictatorship run by the CP. But I can protest here. That's my right as an American. So step outta my way meathead. I've got some catching up to do." That was the jist of it anyway. I don't think I actually called him a meathead. I'm not all that witty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home