Musings of a Winter Wren

Monday, December 03, 2007

OOLONG AND OTHER THIHGS THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH TEA

I mentioned a long time ago something about not liking most words that begin with the letter B. This still holds true. Words like bagel, boots, and bush make me feel, how do you say, a tad unclean? The name Barbara and its many variations (Barb or Barbie) are even more trouble because they have two B’s each. Usually when I see people with this name, I just smile wide and say 'Oh, hey you!'

Don't give me that look, everyone has some kind of odd hang-up. For example, some people don’t drink beer and that completely baffles me.

Anyways, to make up for this short coming I would like to state that I really like words that begin with double O’s. Like oosphere, oospore, oology, and oocyte. Although the dictionary insists these words begin with an "oh-ah" sound, I heard a doctor lady on NPR pronounce them with an "oo-oo" sound, which I like much better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home