Musings of a Winter Wren

Friday, June 06, 2008

SPEAKING OF EXOTICS

I was driving to meet a friend. On my way to her house, I rolled over a House Sparrow (European Sparrow) with my big dumb car tires. The little guy had been flitting about the street with, what I can only assume to be, his pair bond. I guess I was operating under an assumption that birds and other fauna will instinctually spring out of the way of moving vehicles.

I immediately came to a halt and stared into my rear view mirror at the tiny bird shaped lump on the street. I pulled the car around the nearest quiet, residential intersection and drove back. And shit stick, I felt really bad! When I met up with my friend, I launched straight into confession. She kindly reminded me that House Sparrows are exotics introduced in the late 19th century. She shrugged her shoulders and said, "They're like Cane Toads." My ornithology professor probably would have patted me on the back and congratulated me for cleaning out the gene pool.

But what? I still carelessly snuffed out a life and that makes me feel like a big fat A-hole. I mean whatever, I have stepped on countless ants and swatted god knows how many mosquitoes. Hell, I've been known to cut up ticks with a pocket knife. But all I could do that afternoon was think about his ladybird perched on their nest wondering, "How am I going to forage and incubate these eggs??"

Gah! (Sorry birdies)

3 Comments:

Blogger jcat said...

Warbling, this sparrow is the most numerous bird on the planet. Understood inadequate comfort there, then, they reach maturity in about eight minutes so what you dispatched may have been a homeless juvenile as evidenced by his severe wrong place at the wrong time behavior. Where I live they fall out of the sky for forgetting to fly as they frolic with their siblings. Seriously I have been swerving dangerously to save them in what looks like a population explosion year. I am purposefully not using defensive maneuvers my next encounter to share the guilt with you on this one.

6/12/2008

 
Blogger Winter Wren said...

Oh jcat, you're just saying that
(to make me feel better.)

And it worked. Your logic appeals to me. I mean, how can I be so adamant about curbing White-tailed Deer and Canada Geese populations without also being critical of House Sparrow populations? I will stop recommending things, but if you ever get the chance to rent a documentary titled "Cane Toads: An Unnatural History," you will not be disappointed.

6/13/2008

 
Blogger jcat said...

Warbling, Be careful not to use your car as a White-tailed deer culling device. Via accident I tried it once and got closer to being culled than the deer. Also, don't stop the recommendations. Getting to know what smart people read and watch is one of those precious remaining freebie's in life and it saves a heck of a lot of time at Barnes and Noble.jcat

6/14/2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home