Musings of a Winter Wren

Saturday, April 04, 2009

DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT GEOGRAPHY

I met this French guy while trekking through Laos. He asked me where I was from, so I gave him the name of my state. Before I could describe its location in the union he said, "Ah oui, bien sur. Zee capital is St. Paul, no?" Incroyable!

And now let me recall a Stanford graduate I met on a train to Prague. When I told him where I was from he furrowed his brow and asked, "Is that state north of Montana?" No sweetie, Canada is north of Montana.

But I shouldn't judge. My geography is also bad. I'm not like the people on Jay Leno who mistake Australia for Afghanistan, but I get Swaziland and Lesotho mixed up. And I don't know the world's capitals as well as I should. So yeah, I need to work on that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home