Musings of a Winter Wren

Monday, June 01, 2009

NEIGHBORHOOD CRAZIES

Just moments ago I was at the neighborhood grocery store. I only had to pick up three items but I expected the place to be busy because it's nearly dinnertime. A fifty something year old man and I approached the dairy cases at the very same time. He was wearing mismatched plaid pajama tops and bottoms. The bottoms had several holes worn in them. A few of them were alarmingly high on his leg.

Anyway, he sort of walked up to the case and stood there so I crossed him in order to access the skim milk. Almost immediately, he started yammering about how he needed to get into the case that I just crossed, even though he made absolutely no effort to do so when I went for the milk. Then, he started to say something like, "You're in a hurry? Well I'm in a hurry too. I got the TV repair guy coming to my house in a bit blah blah blah." But you know what? I was walking away from him because it really wasn't a big deal what happened. But as I was halfway down the next isle, I hear him shout after me, "Everyone's in a goddamn hurry!" He'd thrown up his hands and he was in a rage.

I turned, paused and looked at him and asked with utmost sincerity, "Are you drunk?"

Half a minute later I was up at the check-out counter when I saw him exit the store with all the fury of a tornado. He nearly slammed the exit door off of its hinges as he departed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home