Musings of a Winter Wren

Thursday, April 29, 2004

WEEKEND O' DEBAUCHERY

I’m going up north this weekend to visit my old friend, Pollen. We are going to stay with Tillie the Hobbit in her Martha-Stewart-On-Peyote Hobbit Home. We will take long walks on country roads. I will scratch dogs behind their ears and say nonsensical things in sing-songy tones of voice. We will have fulfilling although convoluted conversations about meaningful philosophical things and then laugh at ourselves when we're done. I will interrupt my interruptions. I will tell some good jokes. I will listen to good music. I will smoke cigarettes and practice my French Inhale. Uh-huh-huh.

Here is my packing list:

1 bag Almond Cranberry Oatmeal
1 bag Honey Nut Granola
English Morning Breakfast Tea
2 cans Evaporated Milk
1 Bottle Australian Red Wine
1 Box Hot Tamale Candies
2 Ripe Avocados
1 Tub Fresh Salsa
1 Bag Corn Chips
1 Copy Infinite Jest*
1 Spiral Bound Journal
1 Mechanical Pencil
1 Korean Eraser
1 Vial 0.3 Pencil Lead
1 Swiss Army Knife
Half Pack Trident Gum
1 Tube Bert’s Lip Balm
1 Bottle of Drugs
1 Extra Pair of Socks
1 Extra Pair of Drawers
1 Extra T-Shirt
1 Toothbrush
3 Video Tapes
1 Pack of American Spirits
1 Audio Recorder
Bach Cello Suites (1-6)
Saint Germain (Tourist)

Dear god, is nothing simple?

* I had a dream last week that Hal Incandenza (character of Infinite Jest) let me tour his home and showed me his jock strap. It thrilled me and made me blush like a twelve-year-old girl.