Musings of a Winter Wren

Monday, October 10, 2005

THE DAY AFTER










It was a beautiful day yesterday and a huge turn out (1.2 million). The finish was a bit anticlimactic. My dad and I crossed together. I thanked him for running the race with me. He said he had a good time. And then we struck out in search of a port-o-potty and a ride home.

My dad, ladies and gentlemen. He puts 'NO!' in 'no nonsense.'

I came to work today, mainly because I don't want my students to think I'm soft. But seriously, I'm not as sore as I was anticipating. I have a pea in my left knee and a dull ache in my right hip. Other than that, I'm okay. I was talking to a student who used to be an endorsed athlete back in the day (he said he ran a marathon in Europe in 2:17). He asked me what my best time was and I told him, 3:40. Then he asked me how much I weighed and I told him, about 140 lbs. He kind of looked me up and down, the way an equestrian might inspect a horse and said if I trained more with sprints and lost another 10 lbs, I could probably finish close to 3 hours flat. I understand the more you weigh the more weight you have to drag around the course and I would like to get a competitive time in the near future, but I have a hard enough time being mistakened for a fourteen year old boy as is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home