Musings of a Winter Wren

Saturday, October 01, 2005

INTIMIATE APPAREL

This evening RS and I walked to the theater to watch Intimate Apparel by Lynn Nottage. The play was about a sensible, although lonely thirty five year old African American woman living in Lower Manhattan at the beginning of the twentieth century. It was very well done. I will admit I was quite swept up in the romantic fantasy of the first half only to be crushed with bitter disappointment in the second. This was the artists’ intent, so kudos to them.

On a peripheral note, it has been at least a year since I saw a play and what really struck me about tonight’s experience is how dressed up people got just to sit in the dark for two hours. I can understand dressing for an occasion, but some people were strutting about like birds of paradise at senior prom. It’s kind of sad, really. It reminds me of the people from my hometown (of 75,000) who use to get gussied up for a "dining experience" at the Red Lobster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home