Musings of a Winter Wren

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

TRAVELOGUE #2

When: Thursday, June 15
Where: Beijing, China

I am now checked into the City Central Youth Hostel, which is conveniently located just across the street from the Beijing central train station. This place is unusually clean for China. I almost feel as though I’m in an IKEA display room. I took a cab from the airport for 85 yuan when I probably could have just taken the bus for 16. But the last time I took the bus from the airport into the city, I ended up walking miles in the dusty heat. Oh god, am I getting soft? After dropping my things off in my room (no roommate) I purchased some internet time and a roll of toilet paper (I quite forgot that’s how things work here). For reasons unknown, I chose not to spend a whole 3 yuan on the fancy western stuff. Instead I opted for the classic Chinese brand. The coarse pink paper with tree bark and beetle wings pressed into it. I also got some fruit at the corner grocery. Finally I walked to Tiananmen Square from about 930 to 1130 PM. Peddlers in the square tried to sell me silken segmented dragon kites. I smiled at them and pretended I had no idea what they were saying to me. It’s a curious thing to walk literally among millions and still feel alone. It’s past midnight now.

I need to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home