Musings of a Winter Wren

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

ASIAN

I joined the Tuesday night Ultimate Frisbee summer league. It's really pretty laid back and I like the people on my team. They are all different ages and come from different places and levels of experience. Usually after a game we go to a local bar, but this evening we went out to a Korean restaurant. I was talking to one of my teammates between points, asking her if she was going to join us for dinner. No, she said. She can't stand Asian food. She can't even stand the smell of it.

This statement seemed a little odd to me since the word Asian is such a broad term. I mean, it would include Chinese food, Japanese, Korean, Indian, Vietnamese, and many more. And having had many of those kinds of foods, I'd say they're rather distinct. To me, it's like someone saying they don't care for European food. But when she said this, I just nodded and smiled.

Then there was a long pause.

And then she said, "what's your nationality?"

Still nodding and smiling I simply replied, "Asian."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home