Musings of a Winter Wren

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

NO NAME CALLING

I have this friend who works in early childhood education. He was telling me the other day about a colleague of his who was recently reprimanded for name calling. Apparently, the mother of a 5 year old student had filed a complaint because said teacher called her child "silly-pants."

Silly-pants.

Oh this cruel and crazy world! I mean, silly-pants? That is so derogatory, right? To people who choose to wear pants...that are silly. I wonder what kind of action she-bear will take if she hears someone on the playground call her son a cry-baby. Where can we possibly go from here, hmmmm? Lawsuit? I mean, that's defamation, right?

Shoot. When my mom found out the kids at the bus stop were calling me and my brother chinks, we all sat down the three of us and came up with a list of incisive comebacks. She taught us when to react to provocation, when to pity people's ignorance, and when to just let things slide. Thanks mom. It's too bad little silly-pants isn't so fortunate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home