Musings of a Winter Wren

Thursday, July 27, 2023

I AM IN LOVE

We have a newish egress window.  The other day my son came upstairs and told me a little animal had fallen into the well of the window.  I went out to investigate and there I found Blarina brevicauda.  (Knowing the Latin names of some mammals has gotten me nowhere in life, but considering the amount of money we spent on my undergraduate education, I pull that shit out whenever I can.)  Anyway, this little thing was trying to find its way out, but failing miserably.  The Steady came to the side of the house with a metal bucket.  I needed to get it into the bucket, but it kept insisting on burrowing its pointy little head into the rocks on the side of the well.  I tried to shoo it into the bucket and even tried to pick it up.  It squealed at me and nipped my finger real saucy-like.  

Which is fair.  I one-hundred precent deserved that.

So, there we were, locked in a stalemate for a moment, just looking at each other.  And I don't know if you have ever seen a shew before, but they have pin pricks for eyes.  But I swear to god, it looked at me as I gestured at the metal bucket I was holding, and then it climbed right in.  It almost did this with an air of resignation.  I'm not even making that up.  We put it back by the wood pile and all I can think about today is its velvety little body.    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home