Musings of a Winter Wren

Sunday, March 06, 2005

LESSONS IN TRAFFIC

Last week a police woman in a squad car stopped RS and I as we biked to the whole foods co-op for groceries. She got out of her vehicle and scolded us for running a red light. She said it's illegal even on bicycles, and subject to fines. She squared her shoulders and adjusted the heavy utility belt laced through ill fitted uniform pants and informed us that she was going to show clemency this time. I pretended to be surprised and sorry because I was hungry and wanted to get to the store so we could buy things for dinner already. However, thinking back, I wish I had taken the chance to chat with her. I mean, if I have to mind every sign and streetlight that an automobile does, than I should get to enjoy all the benefits too, right? I should get to run the yellow lights and make rolling stops and be an aggressive righteous asshole, right? So now I ride in the middle of the street. And hold up traffic, just like a car would when I make left hand turns. It's great.

I feel as though I learned a great many things from this experience. For example, the next time you run a red light, do a quick scan for the po-po first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home