Musings of a Winter Wren

Thursday, August 17, 2006

TRAVELOGUE #3

When: Friday, June 16
Where: Beijing, China


ME: What time is it?
GIRL IN THE HALL: I have no clue.
BOY COMPANION: I think it is 5:06.
ME: a.m.?

I hate this about air travel. It’s so unnatural to skip across fifteen time zones in as many hours like a stone across Lake Superior. I think I’m going to sink here. I am starving and I’ve got a headache where coffee should be.

I found the monkey den. Monkey Business is the travel company I’ve been working with. I am almost surprised to find they exist. I guess I was half expecting to arrive and find an empty parking lot and a note that reads, “Thanks for wiring us money suckaaas!” I finally met Andy the man I had been corresponding with; skinny guy from Oxford. He explained everything. They’re very organized and their office was air conditioned which is fantastic because it’s about 33 in the city today. Can you say “Fuckin’ ell?” I spent 25 yuan getting to the office by cab and only 3 yuan getting back to the hostel by subway. Plus the cab driver had to stop twice, get out of the car and ask random pedestrians on the street for directions! I only had 14 yuan left. I spent part of it on internet use and the rest on a box of single serve instant coffee. Rather thrifty since one cup of coffee at a bar will cost about the same as a whole box of instant and you’re most likely going to get instant anyway. This afternoon I need to find a bank and a post office. The only thing I really want to do is eat a plate of hong shao qiezi (braised eggplant in brown sauce) and drink a tall bottle of pijiu (beer).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home