Musings of a Winter Wren

Sunday, February 15, 2009

MORE BAD NEWS

My mom had her appendix out on the 31st of January. It was supposed to be a simple procedure but the surgeon found so many adhesions in her belly, he had to open her up completely to get the job done right. A strange side coincidence is that she suffered this acute appendicitis on my birthday, and I am a cesarean baby, which means she was opened up exactly 31 years ago to the day. Poor thing.

She fought a pretty serious post-op infection but as far as I knew she was on the mend. Until I got a call from my father yesterday telling me she had to go under the knife once more because the doctors found a major obstruction that was hindering her digestion. He removed about ten inches of her small intestines. That marks six belly surgeries for ma. They should have just given her a zipper from the start.

So we drove up north to visit mom in the hospital. She was sleeping when we arrived, pale and puffy from the IV. I wanted to be strong and supportive around her but I ended up just weeping like a little kid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home