Musings of a Winter Wren

Sunday, February 08, 2009

YOU MUST BE JOKING

Yesterday I was shocked. Today I'm just pissed.

There were three people in the other car and since none of us came to any serious bodily harm, there was only one ambulance. I am a clumsy girl. I've had many bruises and bumps in the past from mountain biking or just walking around in the dark. Normally, I wouldn't take the time to go to the ER, but the paramedics insisted I go just to make sure the kid is okay.

So I'm sitting in the ambulance with the driver and the two passengers from the other car. The Steady is outside waiting for the AAA guy to show up with a tow truck. As I am sitting there, I can't help but notice one of the passengers from the other car holding an ice pack up to his knee and grimacing as though in great pain. Now, I'm sure he was in a lot of pain and I don't mean to dismiss his discomfort. It's just that he was making a huge fucking show about it (writhing and groaning like an injured soccer player in front of the referee) and all the while he was staring directly at me. As though I was the source of his injury.

The three people from the other car hardly spoke English, so I did not feel like I could express myself to this wounded man. I didn't feel like I could say, "Look, if you are upset, perhaps you should complain to the 22 year old driver of your car who ran the fucking red light at over 25 miles per hour!"

But all I could do was glower at him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home