Musings of a Winter Wren

Friday, February 11, 2005

WHY DON'T YOU GET SOME TACT, FOR A CHANGE

We have a robot working in HR. When I pass him in the hall, he always pelts me with one of those inauthentic ‘hihowareyou’ greetings. He says it so hurriedly it sounds like one word instead of four and before I have a chance to respond, he’s already down the hall. Or on the other side of the building. Or in his car driving home.

Yesterday in the stairwell, he actually paused to hear my answer. I smiled and told him I was doing well. Then he said, “So do you like teaching for a change?” My mind stuck like a bloodthirsty leach to the last part of his question. Just what is that suppose to mean, “For a change?” It was one of those cutting comments where the words between the lines are written in BOLD, ITALICS, ALL CAPS, IN SUPER! LARGE! FONT!! I explained to him that I had always liked teaching. It was working sixty five hours a week and getting paid for half that time (no thanks to you), that I didn’t like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home